Science Leader: Mrs Gadsby
To engage, inspire and challenge children, developing independent thought, curiosity and questioning, equipping them with knowledge and skills for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world.
Aims and Objectives
Learning science gives children the opportunity to explore and understand the world in which they live. Science at Moon’s Moat First School gives children the tools to develop their ideas and ways of working that enable them to understand the world through investigation with independence, resilience and enjoyment. Progression of learning is of great importance in order for children to build upon skills, attitudes and knowledge already acquired.
- Prepare our children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world.
- Help our children acquire a growing understanding of scientific ideas and help develop and extend their scientific concept of their world.
- Give our children an understanding of scientific processes and practical scientific skills.
- Support our children to develop their scientific vocabulary and to be able to explain scientific concepts clearly and precisely, making their thinking clear, both to themselves and others.
- Foster concern about, and actively care for, our environment.
- Build on children’s natural curiosity and developing scientific approach to problems.
- Encourage open-mindedness, self-assessment, perseverance and responsibility.
- Build our children’s self-confidence to enable them to work independently and also to be able to work cooperatively with others.
- Provide our children with an enjoyable experience of science, so that they develop a deep and lasting positive attitude to science.