Subject Coordinator: M.Ridgard
We asked the children what Physical Education means to them. Here are their words and ideas:
At Moon’s Moat, we believe a high quality PE curriculum should be an integral part of the whole school curriculum and is vital to a pupil’s physical development and well-being. Through PE & Sport our children learn to develop the important qualities of discipline, resilience, communication, team work and ambition, leading to improved concentration, attitude, and academic achievements. We encourage our pupils to understand the importance of a healthy lifestyle and to develop physical literacy, which can be defined as the motivation, confidence, physical competence, understanding and knowledge to maintain physical activity at an individually appropriate level.
We aim to use progressive learning objectives, combined with varied teaching approaches to provide stimulating, enjoyable and appropriately challenging learning experiences for all pupils. Our PE curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils develop the fundamental skills and competence to excel in a wide range of physical activities by providing a broad & balanced curriculum with opportunities for all to be enjoyed. At Moon’s Moat, our PE curriculum is inclusive and ensures that pupils of all abilities access the range of activities we offer and that they are physically active for sustained periods of time in order to encourage them to lead healthy, active lives.
We participate in intra and inter school competitions which provide our pupils with opportunities to participate in competitive sports and activities. We believe these opportunities support our pupils to develop social skills such as teamwork and communication, develop concepts such as fair play and respect, and gain self-esteem and self-confidence.
We provide our pupils with 2 hours of timetabled PE a week, plus opportunities for physical activity during playtimes, lunch times and afterschool. Swimming takes place in Year 4.
The National Curriculum for Physical Education aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities;
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time;
- Engage in competitive sports and activities;
- Lead healthy, active lives.
At Moon’s Moat we aim for our pupils to:
- Understand the importance of a healthy lifestyle;
- Incorporate exercise in their lives and develop positive attitudes to participation in physical activity;
- Participate in regular exercise;
- Achieve their 30 active minutes a day in school;
- Complete physical activity for sustained periods of time;
- Develop agility, balance and coordination;
- Develop skills to support physical literacy;
- Apply skills to a range of physical activities and contexts, with increasing competence and confidence;
- Participate in competitive sports, including football, basketball, table tennis, hockey and rounders;
- Apply attacking and defending strategies, where appropriate;
- Take part in physical activities, both individually and as part of a team;
- Develop the appreciation of fair play, team play, honest competition and good sportsmanship;
- Develop self-confidence through understanding the capabilities of one’s self and others.
- Develop resilience and positive attitudes to fair play and co-operation.
- Participate in competitive sports within school and against other schools.