Our vision of history teaching at Moons Moat First School is to stimulate the children’s interest and understanding about the life of people who lived in the past.
We want them to have a keen sense of chronology, and through this develop a sense of identity and cultural understanding based on their historical heritage.
We feel if we teach children to enjoy learning about the past, they will have a better understanding of the society in which they live and understand how to become a valued member of our community and the wider world today.
History subject leader: Mrs C. Kelly
The aims of history at our school are:
- to foster an interest in the past and to develop an understanding that enables them to enjoy all that history has to offer;
- to develop a sense of chronology and use terms relating to the passing of time, making links between different periods they have studied.
- to enable children to know about significant events in British history and the wider world;
- to help children understand society and their place within it, so that they develop a sense of cultural heritage.
- to understand methods of historical enquiry;
- to understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance.
Click here to see how History is taught in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Click here to see our History policy.
Click here to see our expected skill and vocabulary progression across the school.