Languages Leader: Mrs Moorhouse
Purpose of study
At Moon’s Moat First School we are keen to promote the study of a foreign language because of its increasing importance in the modern world. We want to embed language learning into our curriculum. Enriching the curriculum and releasing children’s creative energy through sport drama, music and languages reinforces their understanding of the basics and helps them enjoy a broader, more balanced curriculum.
The experience of learning and using a foreign language makes its unique contribution to the whole curriculum by taking children out of the familiar environment which is dominated by English and allowing them to explore the life-style and culture of another land through the medium of its language. This in turn provides a satisfying, enjoyable and intellectually challenging experience for children in coping with a different linguistic medium.
In French, pupils will learn to:
- read fluently
- write imaginatively
- speak confidently
- understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken
We aim to ensure that pupils:
- Understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- Speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.
- Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studies.
In Early Years and Key Stage 1 settings, it is suggested that MFL activities such as songs, classroom phrases, games become part of classroom practice. In Key Stage 2 teaching and learning follows the coverage grid set out here.